Tuesday 3 May 2011

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

 So my film starts with this (above) title card, I tried to make the title reminiscent of that of American 'Lobby' advertisements whilst still maintaining a serious logo for my pictures company. I hand drew the logo and created the curtain effect on Photoshop.
 These titles were created with the aid of royalty free video footage from the hubble telescope. I simply put over titles at my desired point and created a fantastic effect, simply.
 I decided to focus on the bottle of alcohol dominantly in the initial opening, as the theme of alcoholism would run throughout my film. Many people would expect to see a human face first in a film, my audience research told me, so I decided to change this.
 Here is the character of Grant. With the bottles laying around, it is clear he desires the drink. The look on the actor's face was a direction of: 'look flawed, like a facade', an unconvincing smile to hide his failures.
 And here he is taking a huge swig on the whiskey, before being interrupted at the door.
 This shot took a fair few attempts, I had to align myself behind the actor at all times, which was difficult. Even more so was to not fall over.
 The stage hand actress here tells Grant of the remaining time allocated. Grant replies enthusiastically. The stage hand originally had a much bigger part, but I decided to cut it out due to the film being all about the band and the barrier they form between themselves and the world.
 The switch over to black and white is something not often seen in films, mostly in flashbacks and I had planned for a flashback sequence, however I thought this would be a little cliché and decided against it. Instead favouring a montage of pre-show nerves and actions. 
 Close ups do not yet reveal the faces of the main characters, adding an air of mystery.

 I shot these two actors and cut them together in close succession, as these two are much closer together than to Grant. This emphasises the barrier between the two groups due to Grant's problems. The mirrors here were particularly difficult to shoot as I kept ending up in the shot!

 When Grant is finally revealed, he is overshadowed by this guitar, adding to his feelings of inequality, which is actually paranoia.

 I love this shot. I did it to achieve a sense of union and working together between the two.
 Aaron, the actor here, takes a quick look into the mirror. I told him to do so as it was a surreal experience to the character and he wanted to make sure it was for real.


 This shot is a small attempt at humour, as despite their failings and flaws, the group are all friends who do enjoy each other.

 This shot can be taken as quite intimidating, as I wanted the audience to feel what the band were feeling.

 I left this shot lingering to acknowledge the fact that life goes on everywhere. Another major theme of the film.


The over voice was recorded in a music recording studio. I felt without it the video was missing something. I added this in and it felt right.

No comments:

Post a Comment